Friday 24 October 2014

In the beginning ....

My fascination with digital technologies, especially the ways in which they support improved learning, started many, many years ago when I witnessed seemingly 'disruptive' students developing strategies, exploring higher order concepts and engaging in peer-learning around games consoles in pubs and clubs.

It just didn't seem right then, and even more so now, that education should 'write off' these young people who were clearly capable of taking part in very complex learning activities simply because the learning environment that they were being presented did not support their learning needs.

So that's when the seeds of my intrigue with digital tools was set.....

Over the years I have used IT to disrupt a variety of different learning and teaching organisations, often creating havoc, out of which an improved understanding of learning, and the ways in which IT can support learning, emerged to the benefit of students, staff and parents.

Many, many years and even more technologies later I am still frustrated by educations inability to make EFFECTIVE use of these tools and so I determined to start 'Creating Havoc Again' from a largely anonymous base.

I want to use 'Creating Havoc Again' to challenge the status quo, offer constructive, and practical, ways forward and explore different ideas, good and otherwise, that are proffered up by 'experts' and academics.

Whilst I remain anonymous I am sure that many who read these thoughts, and know me, will soon work out who I am. However, for everyone else I want my ideas, conversations and content to inform your opinion of whether it is of any value joining me on my journey.

I look forward to engaging with you in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment